Joint Procedure Committee - September 2002 Agenda
September 26-27, 2002 Meeting
Web Note The Agenda retains page numbers for convenience of referring to the printed materials, even though they are irrelevant to accessing the documents on the Web.
Not all committee documents are available on the Web at this time (because they are not presently available in an electronic format).
The Committee's printed drafts contain line numbers which do not convert to the Web. Some additional formatting may be lost.
Questions or comments may be directed to Staff Attorney Mike Hagburg - .
I. Roll Call and Preliminaries
II. Minutes of April 25-26, 2002 Meeting
III. Old Business
Petitions for Amendment of Court Rules
The Supreme Court is now considering the Committee's petitions for adoption of the 2001-2002 Annual Rules Package and the separate Appellate Rules Package.
1. Memorandum on Rules Package
2. Annual Rules Package Petition
3. Appellate Rules Package Petition
IV. New Business
- Rule 8.2, N.D.R.Ct.; Interim Orders in Domestic Relations Cases
The Committee will consider an amendment to N.D.R.Ct. 8.2 that gives courts the ability to order interim spousal support to be handled by the State Disbursement Unit.
1. Memorandum on Rule 8.2
2. Letter from Judge Hagerty
3. Proposed N.D.R.Ct. 8.2
- Revisions to North Dakota Rules of Criminal Procedure
The Committee will consider whether to conduct a general review and revision of the North Dakota Rules of Criminal Procedure.
1. Memorandum on Criminal Rules
2. Summary of Fed. Crim. Procedure Amendments
- Rule 13, N.D. Sup. Ct. Admin. Order; Interactive Television Pilot Project, East Central Judicial District
The Committee will consider a new administrative order issued by the Supreme Court allowing the East Central Judicial District to conduct an Interactive Television Pilot Project.
1. Memorandum on Order 13
2. Letter from Penny Miller
3. N.D. Sup. Ct. Admin. Order 13
4. Letter from Judge McGuire
5. Memo from Judge Racek
6. Memorandum from Matt Kipp
7. Draft Order Proposed by ECJD
8. N.D. Sup. Ct. Admin. Order 11
- Rule 5, N.D.R.Crim.P.; Initial Appearance Before the Magistrate; Rule 10, N.D.R.Crim.P.; Arraignment; Rule 43, N.D.R.Crim.P.; Presence of the Defendant
The Committee will consider amendments to N.D.R.Crim.P. 5, 10, and 43 intended to facilitate the use of interactive television in criminal proceedings in North Dakota.
1. Memorandum on Rule 5
2. Proposed Fed.R.Crim.P. 5 and commentary
3. Proposed Fed.R.Crim.P. 10 and commentary
4. Proposed Fed.R.Crim.P. 26 and commentary
5. Proposed Fed.R.Crim.P. 43 and commentary
6. Statement by Justice Scalia
7. Proposed N.D.R.Crim.P. 5
8. Proposed N.D.R.Crim.P. 10
9. Proposed N.D.R.Crim.P. 43
- Rule 10, N.D.R.App.P.; The Record on Appeal
The Committee will consider amendments to N.D.R.App.P. 10 in response to adoption of the voir dire recording requirement under the new Standards Relating to Juror Use and Management.
1. Memorandum on Rule 10
2. N.D. Sup. Ct. Admin. R. 9
3. Standards Relating to Juror Use and Management
4. Proposed N.D.R.App.P. 10
- Rule 4, N.D.R.Civ.P.; Persons Subject to Jurisdiction--Process--Service
The Committee will consider amendments to N.D.R.Civ.P. 4 in response to a recent Supreme Court decision.
1. Memorandum on Rule 4
2. Comstock Const., Inc. v. Sheyenne Disposal, Inc., 2002 ND 141
3. N.D.C.C. § 35-27-25
4. Extract: Revised Code Service Provisions
5. Proposed N.D.R.Civ.P. 4
- Rule 21, N.D.R.App.P.; Writs of Mandamus and Prohibition, and Other Extraordinary Writs
The Committee will consider adoption of N.D.R.App.P. 21, which would institute a streamlined procedure for submission of extraordinary writs to the Supreme Court.
1. Memorandum on Rule 21
2. N.D.C.C. ch. 32-32
3. N.D.C.C. ch. 32-33
4. N.D.C.C. ch. 32-34
5. N.D.C.C. ch. 32-35
6. Fed.R.App.P. 21
7. Proposed N.D.R.App.P. 21
- American Bar Association/National Conference of State Trial Judges Discovery Guidelines for State Courts
The Committee will consider whether to implement the new Discovery Guidelines for State Courts adopted by the ABA/NCSTJ.
1. Memorandum on Discovery Guidelines
2. Discovery Guidelines for State Courts
3. Fed.R.Civ.P. 16
4. Fed.R.Civ.P. 26
5. Fed.R.Civ.P. 30
6. Fed.R.Civ.P. 33
7. Fed.R.Civ.P. 37
8. Alaska R.Civ.P. 16
9. Alaska R.Civ.P. 26
10. Alaska R.Civ.P. 30
11. Alaska R.Civ.P. 33
12. Alaska R.Civ.P. 37
13. Ariz. R.Civ.P. 16
14. Ariz. R.Civ.P. 26.1
15. Ariz. R.Civ.P. 30
16. Ariz. R.Civ.P. 33.1
17. Ariz. R.Civ.P. 37
18. Ill. S.Ct.R. 201
19. Ill. S.Ct.R. 206
20. Ill. S.Ct.R. 213
21. Ill. S.Ct.R. 218
22. Ill. S.Ct.R. 219
23. Ill. S.Ct.R. 222
24. N.D.R.Civ.P. 16
25. N.D.R.Civ.P. 26
26. N.D.R.Civ.P. 30
27. N.D.R.Civ.P. 33
28. N.D.R.Civ.P. 37
29. N.D.R.Ct. 8.8
- Rule 41, N.D. Sup. Ct. Admin. R.; Access to Judicial Records
The Committee will consider whether implementation of new confidentiality provisions for court proceedings and records would be appropriate.
1. Memorandum fon Rule 41
2. Letter to Penny Miller
3. Motion to Protect Privacy
4. New York Times article on records confidentiality 5. N.D. Sup. Ct. Admin. R. 41
6. Ariz. St. S. Ct. R. 123
7. Vt. Pub. Acc. Ct. Rec. R. 6
- Expedited Appellate Procedures in Dependency Cases
The Committee will consider whether future implementation of expedited appellate procedures would be appropriate in some cases involving children.
1. Memorandum on Expedited Procedure
2. Extract: Expediting Dependency Appeals
3. Article: Expediting Dependency Appeals in Ohio
4. Minn R.Juv.P. 82
5. Background Comments: Minn R.Juv.P. 82