State v. Kensmoe
State of North Dakota, Plaintiff and Appellee
Lesa M. Kensmoe, n/k/a
Lesa Benedict, Defendant and Appellant
East Central Judicial District,
Judge Cynthia Rothe-Seeger
|Nature of Action:||Theft|
|Term:||10/2001  Argument: 10/17/2001|
|ND cite:||2001 ND 190|
636 N.W.2d 183
Listen to recording of oral argument in MP3 format
Appellant's Statement of the Issues:|
1. Whether the District Court had authority to extend Lesa's probation for an additional five years and to require additional restitution ?
2. Whether, if authorized, such an extension violates the Constitutional provision against double jeopardy ?
3. Whether Section 29-08-28 N.D.C.C. which allows the use of money deposited by third parties for bail for the Defendant is constitutional ?
Appellee's Statement of the Issues:
1. Whether the District Court had authority to extend Appellant's probation for an additional five years and to require additional restitution.
2. Whether the extension violates the Constitutional provision against double jeopardy.
3. Whether N.D.C.C. 29-08-28, which allows the use of money deposited by third parties for a defendant's bail, is constitutional.
|Add Docket 20010183 RSS|
|1||07/20/2001 NOTICE OF APPEAL: 07/18/2001|
|2||08/13/2001 RECORD ON APPEAL & Separates (19 & 20, marked as CONFIDENTIAL)(NOT REC'D: 12,18,23,&25-steno notes|
|3||08/13/2001 and 42, 51, & 62--tapes)|
|4||08/23/2001 APPELLANT BRIEF|
|5||08/23/2001 APPELLANT APPENDIX|
|6||08/24/2001 DISK - ATB|
|7||08/28/2001 8 copies of corrected page 4 for ATB|
|8||09/05/2001 Certif. of Serv. of ATB on Attorney General|
|9||09/11/2001 Letter from Birch Burdick dated 9-7-01 RE: Mr. Burdick will be representing State in this appeal.|
|10||09/24/2001 MOTION FOR Filing of Amicus Curiae Brief|
|11||09/24/2001 ACTION BY CLERK. Granted|
|12||09/24/2001 AMICUS CURIAE BRIEF of State of North Dakota|
|13||09/24/2001 DISK - ACB|
|14||09/25/2001 APPELLEE BRIEF|
|15||09/26/2001 DISK - AEB|
|16||10/11/2001 REPLY BRIEF|
|17||10/15/2001 DISK - RYB|
|18||10/17/2001 APPEARANCES: William S. Kirschner; Birch P. Burdick|
|19||10/17/2001 ARGUED: Kirschner; Burdick (Vol. X; Page 165)|
|20||10/17/2001 Gray covers for Appellant's Reply Brief|
|21||11/02/2001 Letter dtd 11-1-01 from William Kirschner re change of address on 11-15-01 from Fargo to|
|22||11/02/2001 1609 Imperial Ridge, Las Cruces, NM 88011|
|23||12/05/2001 DISPOSITION: AFFIRMED|
|24||12/05/2001 UNANIMOUS OPINION: Sandstrom, Dale V.|
|25||12/07/2001 Order/Judgment Mailed to Parties|
|27||12/31/2001 RECEIPT SIGNED BY DISTRICT COURT CLERK'S OFFICE|
|28||09/18/2007 EXPUNGED - Nonpermanent record items destroyed|