Section 27-05.2-10, NDCC, authorizes grants from the Court Facilities Improvement and
Maintenance Fund for county projects to improve or maintain court facilities. The Fund receives
revenue from a share of a $100 fee applied to all criminal cases except infractions. The Court
Facilities Improvement Advisory Committee is established under Section 27-05.2-09, NDCC, to
receive applications for grants and make awards for projects that qualify for grant funds. The
Committee is comprised of the following members: Sally Holewa, State Court Administrator and
Committee Chair; Scott Wagner, Cass County Commissioner, Dwayne Erickson, Foster County
Commissioner; Stan Lyson, State Senator; and Jim Hill, State Bar Association representative.
Briefly stated, the basic project requirements are that the improvement or maintenance project
must be a necessaryimprovement to court facilities or essential to remodel or maintain existing court
facilities. The county is required by statute to provide local funding for the project in an amount
equal to at least 25% of the project's total cost. Additionally, Section 27-05.2-10 requires that at
least 25% of the available grant funds be allocated to counties with a population of less than 7,500.
The Court Facilities Improvement Advisory Committee convened in February 2007 to review
the third round of applications for grant funds. Thirty-four applications were received. The total
amount of grant funds requested was $687,461.47. The total amount of grants awarded was
$551,556. The Advisory Committee awarded grant funds to 30 counties.
Listed below in alphabetical order are the counties that received grant awards, the amount
of the award, and a brief description of the project
1. Barnes $57,978 Move trial manager's work area; consolidate juvenile court
offices; new records storage room; expand courtroom; repair
damaged window areas; replace clerk office counter-top;
central air in juvenile court and administrative offices.
2. Benson $1,650 Courtroom: repair plaster, prime and paint walls.
3. Bowman $14,331 Expand and renovate courtroom; upholster courtroom pews;
renovate judge's chambers, jury room; chairs for clerk's
4. Burleigh $8,291 Update jury room (paint, carpet, conference table and chairs,
asbestos removal); convert law library to judge's chambers.
5. Cass $76,500 Remove and replace carpeting (2nd and 3rd floor judicial
space); ergonomic chairs for jurors; remodeling to provide
secure access to courtrooms.
6. Dickey $53,021 Remodel and paint courtroom (ceiling panels, carpeting,
window blinds, clock, two counsel tables and chairs, new
lighting); air conditioners for courtroom, clerk's office, and
judge's chambers; remodel witness stand; refinish clerk office
7. Divide $2,606 Repair courtroom ceiling and wall.
8. Emmons $3,210 New lighting in clerk's vault; new hallway lighting near
judge's chambers and courtroom; ceiling fan; blinds for
courtroom windows; state and county seals for courtroom.
9. Foster $47,288 Replace windows in courtroom, clerk's office, judge's
chambers; window blinds for courtroom; art glass
replacement; new lighting; repair and paint wall plaster.
10. Grand Forks $28,951 Remodel basement for court record storage area (includes
sprinkler system, doors, locks, ceiling repairs).
12. Griggs $24,870 New judge's bench; move jury box; remove and replace
carpeting for courtroom, judge's chambers, and related areas.
13. Hettinger $2,070 Switches and wiring for Internet access in courtroom, judge's
chambers, and state's attorney's office.
14. LaMoure $3,750 Repair and paint courtroom walls.
15. McHenry $3,907 Restore hardwood floors (judge's chambers, jury room,
escape room, hallways); gliders and floor mats for chairs;
reupholster chairs; cushions for chairs and benches.
16. McIntosh $3,102 Repair water-damaged ceiling; replace chairs (court reporter
and clerk in courtroom, clerk's office); reupholster juror
chairs; mini-blinds for courtroom windows.
17. McKenzie $2,864 Replace seating at counsel tables. 18. Oliver $4,319 Jury room chairs; courtroom podium for attorneys; ceiling
tiles (courtroom and jury room).
19. Pembina $8,324 Ductless air conditioner unit for courtroom.
20. Ransom $6,750 Fire escape from jury room; desks and work stations for
21. Richland $21,271 Replace carpet (clerk's office); courtroom renovations
(ceiling beams, paint walls and ceilings); carpet, refurbish
judge and jury platforms; remove window AC units and
22. Sargent $25,537 Open filing system for clerk's vault; paint walls, ceilings;
carpet for clerk's vault; jury conference room chairs; AC for
clerk area, jury conference room, judge's chambers.
23. Sheridan $2,797 Sound panels behind judge; fabric window blinds for
courtroom and judge's chambers.
24. Stark $13,431 Shelving units for clerk's office; fire escape windows.
25. Steele $13,420 Two air conditioners and circulator, carpeting, and window
shades for courtroom.
26. Stutsman $25,650 Clerk office improvements (shelving units, metal storage
units); judge's chambers improvements (replace ceiling
fixtures); new platform in courtroom for judge's bench, court
reporter desk, witness stand; furniture, relocate bookshelves;
new chairs for jury room.
27. Towner $4,606 New window blinds for courtroom and jury room; paint
judge's chambers and jury room; replace carpeting in
chambers and jury room; refinish law library tables.
28. Traill $62,394 Remodel judge's chamber restroom; remodel jury restroom;
new carpeting in courtroom; replace witness stand gate; repair
juror chairs; new courtroom lighting; enlarge opening to well
29. Walsh $19,733 Improvements to Law Enforcement Center courtroom: paint
walls and ceilings; replace carpet; new furniture and floor
mats; upgrade electrical; new window blinds; glass covers for
counsel and jury tables.