(Numbers represent percentage of responses)
1. To begin with, a general question...as far as people running the following institutions, how much trust do you have in each institution a great deal, some little, or no trust?
|A great deal||Some||Little||None||DK||NA/ Ref|
|a. The public schools||37.0||49.2||7.0||1.3||5.0||.5|
|b. The office of Governor||43.0||42.5||7.5||2.5||4.2||.2|
|c. Local law enforcement||46.5||40.3||8.8||3.0||1.3|
|d. The media||8.7||48.5||29.5||10.7||2.5||.2|
|e. North Dakota Supreme Court||39.2||34.8||4.8||1.0||19.0||1.2|
|f. Medical profession||50.5||39.0||7.5||.8||2.0||.2|
|g. State legislature||19.0||59.7||12.5||2.3||6.2||.2|
|h. U.S. Supreme Court||35.8||40.7||9.0||2.0||12.2||.3|
|i. The courts in your area||29.5||49.7||11.5||2.0||7.2||.2|
2. Where do you most frequently get information about courts. How often do you get information from each regularly, sometimes, hardly ever, or never from...
|Regularly||Sometimes||Hardly Ever||Never||DK||NA/ Ref|
|a. Television/ radio/ or internet news||50.5||33.7||12.0||2.7||.5||.3|
|b. Newspapers/ magazines/ print news||51.2||33.7||11.5||3.2||.5|
|c. "Reality-based" TV shows, such as The People's Court, Judge Judy||6.2||17.7||27.3||46.2||1.7||.7|
|d. Television dramas, comedies, or movies||12.0||32.0||33.0||20.0||1.8||.5|
|e. Can you name other sources from which you get information about courts. |
51.3 - Yes (Ask for specifics and check all mentioned) 43.7 - No 3.0 - DK .3 - NA/ Ref
21.3 - People you know who are legal professionals
3. How do you feel about some issues related to the courts in your area? I will read a list of statements and you indicate how you feel about them strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly agree.
|Str Ag||Some Agr||Some Disag||St Disag||DK||NA|
|a. Courts protect defendant's constitutional rights||32.7||49.5||6.8||1.7||9.2||.2|
|b. Most juries are not representative of the community||12.2||25.2||32.3||18.8||10.8||.7|
|c. Judges are generally honest and fair in deciding cases||36.0||46.0||8.0||3.7||6.0|
|d. Judges do not give adequate attention and time to each individual case||12.5||32.8||24.0||13.3||15.7||1.2|
|e. Courts are out of touch with what is going on in their communities||9.2||25.0||33.7||21.2||10.0||.7|
|f. Court rulings and decisions are understood by the people involved in cases||16.2||43.3||20.5||7.5||11.2||1.0|
|g. Courts do not make sure their orders are enforced||16.0||30.5||20.3||15.2||16.8||.7|
|h. The media's portrayal of the courts is mostly accurate||10.8||35.8||26.3||15.8||9.5||1.5|
|i. I would prefer that a judge ignore the law to ensure that a person who committed a crime is convicted||12.3||17.5||22.5||41.7||5.7||.2|
4. People sometimes say that it costs too much to go to court. How much do you think the following factors contribute to the cost of going to court a lot, some, little, none at all?
|A lot||Some||Little||None||DK||NA/ Ref|
|a. The cost of having a lawyer||75.7||15.8||2.7||1.2||4.0||.5|
|b. Court fees||23.8||38.8||19.7||1.3||15.8||.3|
|c. The slow pace of justice||44.5||33.0||8.7||3.8||9.7||.2|
|d. The complexity of the law||40.5||36.3||10.8||2.7||9.2||.3|
|e. Amount of personal time required, such as missing work or being away from home||34.8||40.7||10.2||5.2||8.8||.2|
5. How do you feel about the following statements strongly agree, somewhat agree, somewhat disagree, or strongly disagree?
|St Ag||Some Ag||Some Dis||St Disag||DK||NA|
|a. Courts favor corporations over ordinary people||16.7||32.5||24.2||11.2||15.2||.3|
|b. Judges' decisions are influenced by political considerations||23.0||46.5||13.5||7.7||9.0||.3|
|c. Elected judges are influenced by having to raise campaign funds||13.7||43.0||19.0||8.2||15.5||.5|
|d. Courts make reasonable efforts to see that individuals have lawyers||38.2||45.3||4.0||2.8||8.5||1.0|
|e. It would be possible for me to represent myself in court if I wanted to||18.8||31.8||14.7||30.3||4.0||.2|
|f. It is affordable for ordinary people to bring cases to court||8.8||25.0||32.5||25.3||7.8||.2|
|g. Courts are slow in handling cases||37.3||42.8||9.8||2.3||7.5|
|h. Courts adequately monitor the progress of cases||9.8||32.3||19.7||10.8||2.6||1.2|
|i. Court personnel are helpful and courteous||24.3||39.7||4.7||3.7||26.2||1.3|
6. In your opinion, what is the most important thing that the courts in your area are doing poorly?
7. In your opinion, what is the most important thing that the courts in your area are doing well?
8. How would you rate the availability of judicial services in your area excellent, good, fair, or poor?
11.5 - Excellent
47.8 - Good
25.5 - Fair
1.8 - Poor
12.8 - DK
.5 - NA/ Ref
9. In your opinion, could North Dakota eliminate some judges in your area without hurting judicial services?
15.5 - Yes
59.3 - No
24.0 - DK 1.2 - NA/ Ref
10. Have you ever been personally involved in the state district courts by serving on a jury, being a witness in court, as a plaintiff bringing a lawsuit, as a defendant being sued or charged, as an observer in court, or something else?
39.7 - Yes
59.3 - No
.7 - DK
0 - NA/ Ref
How were you involved and what kind of case was it?
|Kind of Case (Check all that apply)|
|No||Yes||Civil||Criminal||Fam Rel||Small Claims||Juv Del||Something Else|
|a. As a jury member||16.0||6.3||6.7||.3||.3||.5||.3|
|b. As a defendant||8.8||3.3||2.3||1.2||.8||.3||.3|
|c. As a plaintiff||7.0||3.5||.5||1.8||1.0|
|d. As a witness||9.3||3.8||2.5||1.8||.3||.2|
|e. As observer of court proceeding||14.0||6.0||3.3||1.8||1.2||.3||.2|
|f. Involved in some other way||2.3||Exactly how?|
11. Overall, how much would you say that you know about the state district courts in your area a lot, some, a little, or practically nothing?
4.2 - A lot
37.2 - Some
36.3 - A little
21.3 - Practically nothing
.5 -DK/ Ref
12. Some people say that the courts treat everyone equally, while others say that district courts favor certain people over others. How do you think the following groups are treated better, somewhat better, the same, somewhat worse, or far worse?
|Better||Somewhat Better||Same||Somewhat Worse||Far Worse||DK||NA/ Ref|
|a. People like you||3.3||9.8||64.0||6.8||.7||14.7||.7|
|g. Non-English speaking people||1.0||4.2||41.0||20.0||4.8||27.0||2.0|
|h. Middle class people||1.2||11.7||65.2||7.5||.7||12.8||1.0|
|i. Working class people||1.7||9.2||66.0||9.5||.5||12.2||1.0|
|j. Wealthy people||28.8||30.2||30.2||1.0||9.0||.8|
13. How would you rate the manner in which the state district court in your area handles the following kinds of cases excellent, good, fair, poor?
|a. Civil Cases, such as auto accidents, malpractice claims, landlord tenant disputes and so on||6.8||39.3||21.5||3.0||27.8||1.5|
|b. Criminal cases, such as crimes of violence, robbery, shoplifting, and so on||11.5||37.3||27.2||4.5||18.7||.8|
|c. Small claims cases, where you can be your own attorney||6.0||30.2||23.7||4.7||33.7||1.7|
|d. Family relations cases, such as divorce, child custody, and so on||4.3||25.7||31.5||10.8||26.5||1.2|
|e. Juvenile delinquency cases||5.0||23.5||30.3||16.2||23.5||1.2|
14. Where is your primary residence city over 2500, city under 2500, rural non-farm, or farm?
59.5 - City over 2500
22.8 - City under 2500
6.5 - Rural non-farm
10.3 - Farm
.8 - DK/ Ref
14a. (Ask only city residents) Is it a county seat?
58.7 - Yes
21.5 - No
6 - DK/ Ref
15. What is your age?
.2 - Under 18
12.8 - 18-25
15.5 - 26-35
30.3 - 36-50
20.3 - 51-65
19.3 - Over 65
1.5 - DK/Ref
16. What is the highest level of education completed?
7.3 - Less than high school
4.3 - Some graduate school
29.0 - High school graduate or GED
5.8 - Graduate or professional degree
32.7 - Some college or technical school
.2 - NA/Ref
20.7 - 4 year college degree
17. What do you consider to be your racial or ethnic identity?
.3 - Hispanic/Latino
93.5 - White Caucasian
0 - African American
2.0 - Native American
.5 - Asian or Pacific Islander
1.3 - Other
2.3 - NA/ Ref
18. What is your marital status?
63.3 - Married
22.0 - Single
.5 - Living with partner, but not married
6.5 - Separated or divorced
7.7 - Widowed
0 - NA/ Ref
19. What is your main trade or occupation at present?
20.2 - Retired
7.0 - Business owner, manager
5.5 - Student
5.8 - In education
14.8 - Blue collar
9.5 - Office, white collar
17.3 - Professional
5.8 - Homemaker
13.2 - Other
.7 - NA/ Ref
20. How often do you get to vote in elections always, most of the time, sometimes, or never?
47.8 - Always
35.0 - Most of the time
10.2 - Sometimes
6.5 - Never
0 - DK
.5 - NA/Ref
21. What would you guess was your combined household income last year less than $20,000; $20,000-$40,000; $40,000-$60,000; $60,000-$80,000; or over $80,000?
17.2 - less than $20
31.3 - $20-$40
17.3 - $40-$60
8.7 - $60-$80
7.2 - Over $80
6.3 - DK
11.8 - NA/Ref
22. Note gender:
50.3 - Male
49.7 - Female