Kimball v. Landeis
Larry Kimball, Jr., Plaintiff and Appellant
Jack Landeis and
Justin Gram, Defendants and Appellees
Northeast Central Judicial District,
Grand Forks County
Judge Lawrence E. Jahnke
|Nature of Action:||Personal Injury|
|Term:||09/2002  Argument: 09/09/2002 2:45pm|
|ND cite:||2002 ND 162|
652 N.W.2d 330
Listen to recording of oral argument in MP3 format
Appellant's Statement of the Issues:|
I. Did the trial court err in granting defendant gram's motion for summary judgment?
II. Did the trial court err in granting defendant Landeis' motion for summary judgment? A. The doctrine of equitable tolling should have applied B. The defendant, Landeis has actual notice of the complaint and has made a general appearance in the action
Appellee's Statement of the Issues:
Did the District Court err, as a matter of law, when it held that the record before it did not raise an issue of material fact which would allow the Finder of Fact to find in favor of the Appellant and that Appellant's showing did not constitute anything other than conjecture and speculation?
Appellee's Statement of the Issues:
1. Whether a defendant may assert the defenses of insufficiency of process, improper service of process and/or lack of personal jurisdiction in an answer without waiving such defenses?
2. Whether service of process upon a person subject to guardianship must be made upon the guardian?
3. Whether actual knowledge of litigation will substitute for proper service of process upon a defendant?
4. Whether separate defendants in a negligent action are "otherwise united in interest" allowing a plaintiff to obtain service of process over both defendants by only properly serving one under N.D.C.C. Section 28-01-38 when the defendants are severally liable only?
5. Whether an action to recover damages for personal injury suffered from a snowmobile accident occurring more than six years prior to the date of effective service of a summons and complaint is barred by the applicable statute of limitations?
6. Whether the equitable tolling doctrine applies to toll a limitations period when the plaintiff did not pursue an alternative remedy within the statute of limitations and was not precluded from initiating any claim against the defendant by extraordinary circumstances?
|Add Docket 20020100 RSS|
|1||04/24/2002||NOTICE OF APPEAL (Re Jack Landeis ): 04/23/2002|
|2||04/24/2002||NOTICE OF APPEAL (Re Justin Gram): 04/24/2002|
|3||05/21/2002||RECORD ON APPEAL|
|6||06/10/2002||DISK of ATB|
|7||06/10/2002||8 cc each of corrected cover, TOA, and pg. 6 for ATB, & notice of appeal for ATA|
|8||07/02/2002||APPELLEE BRIEF of Justin Gram|
|9||07/02/2002||APPELLEE BRIEF of Jack Landeis|
|10||07/02/2002||APPELLEE APPENDIX Joint Appendix|
|11||07/02/2002||Motion to File Trans. of Non-Evidentiary Hearing on Mot. for Summary Judgment; Stipulation|
|12||07/03/2002||DISK - AE Gram|
|13||07/03/2002||DISK - AE Landeis|
|14||07/03/2002||ACTION BY CLERK. Granted|
|15||07/03/2002||APPELLEES' REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL TIME AT ORAL ARGUMENT|
|16||07/03/2002||ACTION BY CHIEF JUSTICE (total of 30 minutes for AE). Granted|
|17||07/11/2002||SUPPLEMENTAL CLERK'S CERTIFICATE DATED 7-10-02 (Entry Nos. 88 & 88a)|
|18||07/23/2002||TRANSCRIPT DATED 12-19-01 (ordered by Mr. Fiedler)|
|19||07/23/2002||DISK - TRA dated 12-19-01|
|20||09/09/2002||APPEARANCES: Thomas V. Omdahl; Jay H. Fiedler; Howard D. Swanson|
|21||09/09/2002||ARGUED: Omdahl; Fiedler; Swanson (Vol. Y; Page 23)|
|22||09/09/2002||ORAL ARGUMENT WEBCAST|
|23||10/15/2002||DISPOSITION (and Remanded): AFFIRMED/PT, REVERSED/PT|
|24||10/15/2002||SPLIT OPINION: Maring, Mary Muehlen|
|25||10/15/2002||(DISSENT): Neumann, William A.: DISSENT|
|26||10/15/2002||(Join DISSENT): Sandstrom, Dale V.: JN/DIS|
|27||10/15/2002||At the direction of the Court no costs will be taxed on this appeal|
|28||10/22/2002||Order/Judgment Mailed to Parties|
|29||10/28/2002||PETITION FOR REHEARING|
|30||10/29/2002||DISK - PER|
|31||11/05/2002||ACTION BY SUPREME COURT (PER). Denied|
|33||11/18/2002||RECEIPT SIGNED BY DISTRICT COURT CLERK'S OFFICE|
|34||07/22/2008||EXPUNGED - Nonpermanent record items destroyed|