Position: Attorney Advisor (General)
Salary Range: $ 47448 - $68809
Open Period: 8/3/12 - 8/15/12
Series & Grade: GS-0905-9/11/12
Full Performance Level: : GS-12
Position Information: Full Time Excepted Service - Permanent
Who May Be Considered: U.S. Citizens
Duty Location:1720 S. Southeastern Ave. Suite 200, Sioux Falls, SD 57103
Millions of Americans depend on the Social Security Administration (SSA) for their well-being. Social Security programs offer protection against the risk of reduced income due to retirement, disability or death, and assist aged, blind, and disabled people in financial need. SSA offers challenging careers and professional advancement. Make a difference in people's lives and your own. Join our dynamic team! The individual selected will serve as an attorney-adviser to one or more Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) in a Social Security Administration (SSA) Hearing Office (HO).
Serves as an attorney-adviser to one or more Administrative Law Judges (ALJs) in a Social Security Administration (SSA), Office of Disability Adjudication and Review Hearing Office (HO). Renders professional legal advice and assistance to the ALJs in pre-hearing development and preparation of cases for hearing, post-hearing development, and other post-hearing actions. Analyzes, researches and develops cases, formulates comprehensive decisions, and otherwise acts on requests for hearings under titles II, XVI and XVIII of the Social Security Act, as amended. Legal issues related to the cases assigned pertain to the interpretation and research of the highly complex provisions of titles II, XVI and XVIII of the Social Security Act, as amended; implementing regulations; related Federal and State laws; the Administrative Procedures Act and precedent Social Security Rulings, court decisions, etc. Participates fully and assists the ALJ in the formulation of the case decision.
Applicants will be rated on the extent and quality of education and/or experience according to information provided in the application forms.
All Attorney positions in the Federal Government require that individuals possess a current attorney license and be in good standing. Proof of an active license must be submitted with an application. (No exceptions permitted to this requirement.)
FOR THE GS-09 GRADE LEVEL:
Active attorney license and the writing sample as indicated below.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL:
Active attorney license, the writing sample indicated below, and evidence of one of the following:
- Academic standing in the upper third of the law school graduating class;
- Work or achievement of significant contribution on the law school's official law review (explain duties and hours devoted per week);
- Special high-level honors for academic excellence in law school, such as election to the Order of the Coif, etc.;
- Winning of a Moot Court competition or membership on the Moot Court team which represented the law school in competition with other law schools;
- Full time or continuous participation in a legal aid program equivalent to 6 months of full time work (dates of employment and hours worked per week are required);
- Significant law office clerk experience while attending law school equivalent to 6 months of full time work (dates of employment and hours worked per week are required);
- Other equivalent evidence of superior achievement while in law school.
FOR THE GS-12 GRADE LEVEL:
Two years of professional legal experience as a practicing attorney (including the examples of experience described in the GS-11 grade level requirement).
NOTE: Part-time work is prorated in crediting experience (e.g., if you work 20 hours per week for a 12 month period you will be credited with 26 weeks of experience).
WRITING SAMPLE REQUIREMENT:
Submit one writing sample (i.e. a brief or other document containing a comparable level of legal analysis.) Writing samples will be evaluated on the basis of the ability to analyze a legal problem and clearly and concisely articulate legal rationale.
NO RELOCATION OR OTHER EXPENSES WILL BE PAID
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit your resume, writing sample, proof of an active law license, transcript, and DD214 (if claiming veterans preference) via e-mail to: ODAR.R8.Denver.RO@ssa.gov by August 15, 2012.
July 27, 2012