Zuo v. Wang
- Yanjun Zuo, Plaintiff and Appellant
Yuanyuan Wang, Defendant and Appellee
- Case Type
- CIVIL APPEAL : CHILD CUST & SUPPORT (Div.\Other)
- Appeal From
Case No. 2016-DM-00750
Northeast Central Judicial District, Grand Forks County
M. Jason McCarthy
Parties' Statement of Issues
1. Whether the district court’s findings of fact in determining residential responsibility and decision making for the minor child are clearly erroneous.
2. Whether the district court abused its discretion by relying on hearsay statements and incompetent evidence when it found Frank committed domestic violence upon Nancy.
3. Whether the district court abused its discretion when it did not allow for an English translation of the audio recordings submitted into evidence.
4. Whether the district court erred in awarding retroactive child support in contravention of the Interim Order.
5. Whether the district court erred in its analysis of the Ruff-Fischer factors in awarding spousal support to Nancy.
6. Whether the district court erred in its analysis and distribution of the marital estate by including an $85,000 gift to Frank’s family in 2014 but did not include Nancy’s monetary gifts to family, and by including A.Z.’s college savings account as an asset to Frank.
I. The district court's findings of fact regarding residential responsibility and decision-making are not clearly erroneous.
II. The district court did not abuse its discretion or rely on improper evidence when it found Frank committed domestic violence upon Nancy.
III. The district court did not abuse its discretion when it excluded the English translation of audio recordings into evidence.
IV. The district court did not err in awarding retroactive child support.
V. The district court properly analyzed the Ruff-Fischer factors in awarding spousal support to Nancy.
VI. The district court did not err by including an $85,000.00 transfer to Frank's sister and A.Z.'s college savings account as part of the marital estate.
Yanjun Zuo appeals after Yuanyuan Wang was awarded spousal support and primary residential responsibility of the parties’ minor child.
Zuo and Wang were married in 1994 and have one child. Zuo sued for divorce in December 2016. After a bench trial, the district court awarded Wang primary residential responsibility of the child and $1,750 in spousal support for ten years. The court ordered Zuo to pay $1,335 per month in child support.
On appeal, Zuo argues the district court’s decisions on primary residential responsibility and spousal support were wrong.
(Note: Attachments may not be available for recently filed cases and/or confidential documents.)
|Seq. #||Filing Date||Description||Attachment|
|1||11/05/2018||NOTICE OF APPEAL : 11/05/2018|
|2||11/05/2018||ORDER FOR TRANSCRIPT|
|3||11/06/2018||AMENDED ORDER FOR TRANSCRIPT : 11/09/2018|
|4||11/09/2018||Received $125 filing fee|
|5||11/09/2018||NOT. OF FILING NOT. OF APPEAL AND PROOF OF SERV.|
|6||11/09/2018||Notice served on Kelsey L. Hankey and Kristi Pettit Venhuizen|
|7||11/21/2018||ORDER OF REMAND (briefing stayed)|
|8||12/28/2018||ANNOUNCED DISQUALIFICATION : Jensen, Jon J.|
|9||01/08/2019||ELEC. RECORD ON APPEAL DATED JANUARY 7, 2019 (ENTRY NOS. 1-271, 273-392)|
|10||01/08/2019||ELEC. TRA DATED 4-17-18, 4-18-18, 4-19-18, 5-25-18, REDACTION KEY & C.O.S.|
|11||01/09/2019||2nd NOTICE OF APPEAL : 01/09/2019|
|12||01/10/2019||NOT. OF FILING NOT. OF APPEAL AND PROOF OF SERV.|
|13||01/10/2019||Notice served on Kelsey L. Hankey and Kristi Pettit Venhuizen|
|14||02/05/2019||1ST ELEC. SUPP. RECORD ON APPEAL DATED FEBRUARY 4, 2019 (ENTRY NOS. 393-397)|
|15||02/15/2019||MOTION FOR ADDITIONAL WORDS BY APPELLANT|
|17||02/15/2019||ACTION BY CHIEF JUSTICE (GRANTED IN PART, 1,000 WORDS) - Granted|
|19||02/17/2019||E-FILED BRIEF (PDF)|
|22||02/20/2019||Rec'd 6 copies of ATB & ATA from Central Duplicating|
|23||02/25/2019||Rec'd $25 surcharge for ATB & $369.50 for over page limit - Total Amt $394.50 (check #26917)|
|24||03/19/2019||NOTICE OF ORAL ARGUMENT SENT|
|25||03/18/2019||AMENDED 1ST ELEC. SUPP. RECORD ON APPEAL DATED MARCH 15, 2019 (ENTRY NOS. 397, 399-401)|
|26||03/19/2019||2ND AMENDED 1ST ELEC. SUPP. RECORD ON APPEAL DATED MARCH 18, 2019 (ENTRY NOS. 397-402)|
|28||03/20/2019||Rec'd 6 copies of AEB from CSD|
|29||03/21/2019||Rec'd $25 e-filing surcharge (receipt #26958)|
|30||03/21/2019||SITTING WITH THE COURT : Gion, James D.|
|32||04/03/2019||Rec'd 6 copies of RYB from CSD|