Amendments to the Rules of Appellate Procedure go into effect March 1, 2019. For any notice of appeal filed prior to March 1, documents will be filed as provided for in the pre-March 1 rules. If you have questions, please consult those rules.
For any notice of appeal filed March 1, 2019, or after, documents will be filed as provided for in the new rules. The following information is based on the new rules.
All documents must be electronically filed, except if filed by a self-represented or inmate party. All parties are encouraged to electronically file.
There is no longer a $25 fee to electronically file a brief. The only fees are $0.50/page for pages of an appendix exceeding 100 and $0.50/page for pages of a motion, including any attachments, exceeding 20 pages.
Refer to N.D.R.Ct. 11.6 for required medium neutral citation forms.
- It is strongly recommended documents be filed in PDF format. Documents may be submitted in PDF, WordPerfect, Word, or ASCII.
- Documents filed in PDF format should be directly converted to PDF from a word processing file using a typed or electronic signature. Do not print, sign, and then scan the document.
- Documents must be black and white. If color is necessary for a page of a document, only that page may contain, be converted, or be scanned in color.
- Documents should be filed as text-searchable. For example, “OCR” or “recognize text” in adobe make the document text-searchable. A document may not, in any way, be locked or password protected.
- Documents may not contain embedded files (such as images) or scripts.
Documents can be submitted for electronic filing as an attachment to an email to email@example.com or submitted by mail on a CD, DVD, or flash drive.
Documents filed in paper format with the North Dakota Supreme Court must be directed to the Clerk:
Penny L. Miller
Clerk of the Supreme Court
600 E. Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0530
For other information on filing in the Supreme Court:
North Dakota Rules of Appellate Procedure
North Dakota Supreme Court Citation Manual
Appellate Practice Tips
Appellate Brief Filing Tips
Guide to an Appeal to the North Dakota Supreme Court
Sample Notice of Appeal
Sample Order for Transcript
The Clerk's Office may be contacted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and by phone at 701-328-2221.