Legal Self Help Center
Welcome to the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center
The North Dakota Legal Self Help Center provides resources to people who represent themselves in civil matters in North Dakota State Courts. The information on this website and from Center staff isn't intended for legal advice but only a general guide to civil court process. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation and can only be provided by an attorney to their client.
The information contained on this website isn't guaranteed to be up to date and the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center isn't responsible for any consequences that may result from the information on the website or from Center staff. The information can't replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in the state
- There is no attorney/client privilege or confidentiality of any information shared with North Dakota Legal Self Help Center staff.
- North Dakota Legal Self Help Center staff are neutral and may provide services to all parties in the case.
- North Dakota Legal Self Help Center staff aren't responsible for the outcome of a case.
If you're unsure about whether you should use the information on the website, contact a licensed attorney.
We encourage you to read all the information and instructions on this website. The answer you're looking for may be easier than you think.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accommodation Requests
- Courts in North Dakota
- People in the Courtroom
- Contact Us
- Contact Clerks of Court by County
- Finding a Lawyer
- North Dakota Free Legal Answers New
- Other Resources
Request Notice by Email When Documents are Filed in a Public Case
Click on the link below to request notice when documents are filed in a public case. Notice is sent to your email address. The emailed notice includes the name and index number of the document, and the date the document was filed. Contact the Judicial Branch IT Help Desk at email@example.com if you have questions about how to make the request for notice of filing.
- Request for Notice of Filing (choose Public Case Subscription option)
- Help Documentation
If you want to view or get a copy of a document, contact the Clerk of Court of the county where the document is filed. Make sure you have the name and index number of the document, and the date the document was filed.
More information about access to North Dakota court system documents is available through the Data Access webpage.
Legal Forms and Guides
Need help filling out a form? Contact a lawyer and ask if the lawyer provides limited legal representation. Lawyers licensed to practice law in North Dakota are allowed to represent you in a part of your case, like filling out a form or forms, or creating a legal document for you. You represent yourself in the rest of your case on your own. You only pay for the part of the case the lawyer handles for you. You and the lawyer must agree in writing to limited legal representation.
Forms aren't available for every legal issue or circumstance. If you don't find the form on this website, the form isn't available through the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center.
You may need to create your own legal documents. The General-Use forms in the District Court Civil Action section below may be used as a starting point for creating your own legal documents.
Small Claims Court
District Court Civil
- Guide to a District Court Civil Action
- Starting a District Court Civil Action
- Answering a Summons and Complaint
- Demand for Filing
- Making a Motion
- Answering a Motion
- General Use Checklists and Forms
- Service Instructions and Forms
- Contempt of Court
- Prohibit Public Access to Court Case Records
- Remote Hearing Preparation & Best Practices
- Early Destruction of Juvenile Court Records
- General Use Forms
- Service Instructions and Forms
- Juvenile Court Webpage
Guardianships and Conservatorships
Landlords and Tenants
- Eviction for Landlords
- Eviction for Tenants
- NDDHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) Rent Help & Housing Resources
- Legal Separation
- Establishing Custody and Visitation
- Request for Expedited Parenting Time Mediation
- Temporary (Interim) Orders in Family Law Cases
- Amend/Review Child Support (income changes)
- Child Support Request for Contempt Citation
- Modify Primary Custody (N.D. orders)
- Modify Visitation (N.D. orders)
- Relocating Out of State (N.D. orders)
- Out-of-State or Tribal Court Custody or Visitation Orders
- Affidavit of Identification Form
- Appear by Phone or Other Electronic Means Request
- Change of Venue
- Contempt of Court
- Continuance and/or Extension Request
- Criminal Matters – Expungement
- Criminal Matters – Legal Research
- Criminal Matters – Prohibit Public Access to Court Records Request
- Criminal Matters – Sealing Criminal Records
- Criminal Matters – Sealing DUI Records
- Dogs as Public Nuisance – Complaints
- Establish Date and Place of Birth
- Expungement of Involuntary Commitment Court Records
- Filing Fee Waiver Request – District Court/Small Claims Court
- Firearms – Restore Right to Possess
- Indigent Defense Criminal Case Application
- Judgment Collection for the Winning Party (Judgment Creditor)
- Judgment Collection for the Losing Party (Judgment Debtor)
- Mental Health Commitment
- Motor Vehicle Title – Petition to Award
- Post-Conviction Relief Petition
- Registering a Foreign Judgment
- Traffic Violations - Driver Training Course No Points
- Traffic Violations – Requesting a Hearing
- Vexatious Litigant – Application to File New Documents
Wills and Probate
- Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent
- Informal Probate of an Estate
- Formal Probate of an Estate
Protection and Restraining Orders
- Domestic Violence Protection Orders
- Disorderly Conduct Restraining Orders
- Sexual Assault Restraining Orders
- Register Out-of-State or Tribal Court Protection Order
If you do not understand any of this information, of if you have trouble filling out any of the forms located here, please see an attorney for help.
The information provided on and obtained from this site does not constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it is being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court is not liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.
If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.