Search Tips

File to Establish Parenting Responsibilities Together

IMPORTANT: ND Legal Self Help Center staff and court employees and aren't allowed to give legal advice and can't help you complete these forms. If you are unsure how to proceed, consult an attorney.

The following forms aren’t official court forms and courts aren’t required to accept them. There’s no guarantee that all judges and courts will accept the following forms. Use at your own risk.

To protect your rights, carefully read this information and all instructions to which you're referred.

You may only use these forms if ALL of the following statements are true.

  1. Both parents are currently in communication with each other.
  2. Both parents agree on All issues. Both parents must date and sign Forms 3 and 4 below.
    1. The parents of the minor child(ren) have never been married to each other.
    2. All of the minor children have lived in North Dakota with a parent for at least the past 6 months (or since birth); *Or* Within the past 6 months, North Dakota was the home state of all of the children and one parent still lives in North Dakota.
    3. There is no other custody, visitation, divorce or paternity order from a North Dakota court or court of another state or tribe.
    4. This is the only legal case in North Dakota, any other state, or tribe between the parents regarding the minor children.
    5. The father of the child or children is recognized as the father by a signed acknowledgement of paternity, a court order, or an adoption order.
    6. Neither parent is currently in the military; *Or* one or both parents are currently in the military but not deploying or deployed.
    7. There is no domestic violence protection order or disorderly conduct restraining order in effect regarding either parent.

    You MUST complete Forms 1 through 9 BEFORE you attempt to file your parenting responsibility case with the Court.  You’ll complete Form 10 only if the judge or judicial referee signs Form 8.

    BEFORE you begin, review Form 3 and Form 4.  Forms 3 and 4 make up the full written agreement for your parenting responsibility case.  If you and the other parent reach an agreement on every paragraph of Form 3 and Form 4, continue. If you can't reach an agreement on every paragraph, you can’t use this forms set.

    If you prefer to handwrite the forms in black ink, you can print out all of the forms and instructions at once by clicking on the following links:

    Child Support Calculator

    You MUST calculate your child support amount, unless a North Dakota state district court, or an out of state court or tribal court has already ordered child support.

    Following is the link to the Child Support Calculator.  The Child Support Calculator is maintained and supported by the Child Support Division of the North Dakota Department of Human Services.  The Child Support Division may be able to provide some assistance with your child support calculations.

    If you file this packet of forms without completing the child support calculations, the court will either require you to complete the calculations, or dismiss your parenting responsibility case entirely.

    If you don’t want to establish child support at this time, OR if you and the other parent have agreed to a different child support amount than the child support calculator shows, you can’t use this packet of forms.

    You may be able to apply for services with North Dakota Child Support. If your application for full services is approved by North Dakota Child Support, they can help to establish an order for child support and medical support in a separate child support case.

    The information provided on and obtained from this site doesn't constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it's being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court isn't liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.

    If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.