VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: No. 21-02
Position: Term Law Clerk to United States District Judge Daniel M. Traynor
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Starting Salary Range: $64,649 - $92,143 (JSP 11 - 13)
Closing Date: May 21, 2021.
The position of Term Law Clerk to Judge Daniel M. Traynor is for a two-year term beginning in August 2022 and ending in August 2024. The position is located in the Chambers of Judge Traynor
in Bismarck, ND. Principal duties of the position include:
• Research substantive issues of federal and state law
• Draft legal memoranda, opinions and orders
• Prepare the Judge for hearings, trials or mediations
• Assist the Judge with case management
• Generally provide legal counsel and support to the Judge
• Exhibit the highest standards of excellence and integrity
The successful applicant will have excellent academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school, strong research and exceptional writing skills, and application of the Rules of Professional
Conduct, the Judicial canons, and rules regarding confidentiality as applied to judicial law clerks. The successful applicant must be a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident seeking
citizenship. The successful applicant will exhibit, at all times and to all persons, a courteous, professional, and cooperative attitude and a self-imposed standard of integrity and excellence.
In addition to these qualifications, the successful applicant may demonstrate one or more of the following:
(a) Standing within the upper third of the law school class;
(b) Experience on the editorial board of a law review of such a school;
(c) Graduation from an accredited school with an LLM degree; or
(d) Proficiency in legal studies that, in the opinion of the appointing judge, is the equivalency of one of the above. Some examples of criteria that are considered to be acceptable as equivalent include:
1. Publication of a noteworthy article in a law school student publication or other scholarly publication;
2. Special high-level honors for academic excellence in law school, such as election to The Order of the Coif or The Order of Barristers;
3. Winning of a moot court or trial advocacy competition or membership on a moot court or trial advocacy team that represented the law school in competition with other law schools.
This list is not all-inclusive; the determination of an acceptable equivalence rests with the appointing judge.
Salary and Benefits
The actual pay level will be established on the basis of the successful applicant’s qualifications and experience. The position does not carry the tenure rights of positions in the competitive Civil
Service. Other federal government benefits (e.g., holidays, life and health insurance, and Health Savings Accounts) are applicable. The position is subject to mandatory Electronic Funds Transfer
(direct deposit) of net pay.
Background Investigation Requirements
The selectee considered for this position is required to undergo an FBI Background Check and/or Investigation and social media inquiry as a condition of employment. The selectee may be
appointed provisionally, and retention will depend upon favorable suitability determination of the background investigation.
The United States District Court is an equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) and has adopted an Employment Dispute resolution Plan. Additional EEO information is available from the Office of
the Clerk of Court. All applications will be maintained in strict confidence. Only the hiring authority will have knowledge of the applicant’s identity. Only candidates selected for an interview
will be contacted.
Qualified persons are invited to submit:
• cover letter indicating availability for a one- or two-year term,
• current résumé,
• completed application for judicial branch employment, form AO-78 (available at
• two samples of legal research and writing,
• undergraduate and law school academic transcripts,
• two professional or academic references,
• letters of recommendation may be submitted, but are not required
Submit application materials to NDD_Jobs@ndd.uscourts.gov. All documents should be in .pdf format.