Job title: Paralegal
Location: Bismarck, ND
Terms: Full time / Non-Exempt
Salary: $20.94—$23.34 per hour, Grade 6
Application Deadline: August 16, 2021, by 5:00 PM CST
About Burleigh County: Burleigh County is a county in the state of North Dakota. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population was 95,262 making it the second-most populous county in North Dakota. Its county seat is Bismarck, the state capital.
About the role:
Work activities involve assisting attorneys in the prosecution and litigation of criminal and civil matters on behalf of Burleigh County. Incumbents work closely with attorneys who make the final decisions regarding all legal work on behalf of Burleigh County. Independently performs an extensive degree of research, fact finding, and analysis associated with a broad scope of cases which the supervising attorneys process.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree with a major in paralegal, legal assistant studies or pre-law and two years of paralegal or legal assistant experience that includes application of research and analysis to draft proceedings, discovery documents, motions, briefs and other legal documents. Work experience as a Certified Legal Assistant may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year
- Must efficiently operate a computer with knowledge of word processing and Westlaw
- Requires knowledge of legal terminology forms and
- Requires a high degree of written and verbal communication
- Ability to handle multiple duties and priorities under limited
- Applicant will be subject to post-offer civil and criminal background
- Responsible for researching, analyzing, and summarizing federal and state statutory case laws, administrative rules, regulations, administrative and judicial decisions, documents prepared by opponents and other sources as requested by
- Assist attorneys in preparation for trial and preparation of trial materials as instructed by
- Responsible for composing, preparing, and ensuring accuracy of various legal documents, including but not limited to; notices, answers, subpoenas, complaints, pleadings, motions, briefs, orders, affidavits, findings of fact, conclusions of law, judgments, releases, sheriff’s certificates, research memorandums, correspondence, interrogatories, consent agreements, discovery documents, arguments, objections, leases, contracts, opinions, etc.
- Conduct legal research utilizing a variety of
- Identify problem resolution alternatives and make recommendations to
- Prepare and ensure accuracy of legal
- Locate and assure availability of witnesses for trials, hearings and
- Assist attorneys with trial preparation and preparation of trial
- Provide legal information through verbal and written means to staff and the public on matters as compliance with laws, procedures, status of cases, etc.
- Provide training and guidance to other legal assistants and staff
- Perform other duties as required and
How to Apply:
Applicants must apply and register at the following website: http://www.burleighco.com/jobs/
- Applicants must also provide:
- Cover letter
- Three (3) professional references
- Non-low review writing sample
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Applications and all supporting material must be received in the Burleigh County Human Resources office by the deadline listed.
- Supporting documents may be emailed to: email@example.com Or mailed to: Burleigh County Human Resources
316 N. 5th St Suite 106
PO Box 5518
Bismarck, ND 58506
- We only accept applications online for vacant positions that are listed on our
Veteran’s preference: Applicants who are residents of North Dakota and eligible to claim veteran’s preference must include Form DD214. Claims for disabled veteran’s preferences must also include Form DD214 and a letter less than one year old from the Department of Veterans Affairs indicating disability; claims for preference as the eligible spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran must include Form DD214, a marriage certificate, and a letter less than one year old from Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating disability, or the veteran’s death certificate.
People who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Burleigh County Human Resources at 701-222-6669.
A complete job description is available from the Burleigh County Human Resources Office.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The employing agency does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services, and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.