Job Announcement - Assistant Attorney General Thursday, March 16, 2023
Position No: 125-30125
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Closing Date: April 6, 2023
Status: Full-Time with State Benefit Package
Location: 500 North 9th Street, Bismarck, ND
Selecting Supervisor: James Nicolai, Interim Solicitor General/Director, Civil Litigation Division.
Summary of Work
The Attorney General is the chief legal officer for the state of North Dakota, and the Attorney General’s Office serves more than 70 state agencies, boards, and commissions, as well as the University System (Chancellor’s office) the State Board of Higher Education, and various colleges and universities. In furtherance of its mission to deliver the highest quality professional legal services to officials, agencies, and people of the state of North Dakota, the Civil Litigation Division covers a diverse legal landscape, including social and health services, torts, civil rights, constitutional law, prisoner litigation, and labor law.
An attorney hired for this position will provide zealous and diligent litigation advocacy to State agencies and officials, as assigned. Typical duties for this position include substantive litigation case work with the following tasks:
- Initial file review and strategic analysis
- Client communication, including specific requests for guidance and more general updates
- Substantive work such as legal research, writing, discovery, motion practice, and hearing preparation
- Seeking additional information such as consulting secondary sources
- Administrative case management duties such as filing letters, emails, updating status reports, regularly reviewing cases, arranging for administrative help
The selected candidate will have an opportunity to represent the State’s Risk Management Division and miscellaneous civil and constitutional litigation as assigned, based upon the volume of cases, experience, and skill level.
Division staff are also given the opportunity to participate in local, regional, and national training courses for topics such as advanced trial skills, depositions, appellate advocacy, e-discovery, and negotiations.
In addition to the monthly salary, this position includes fully paid health insurance for employee and family, the option to participate in employee-paid dental and vision for employee and family, participation in the state NDPERS defined contribution retirement plan as well as the option to participate in the 457 deferred compensation plan, the option to contribute to a medical spending account, and earning annual and sick leave.
Location of Work:
The Division office is centrally located in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Licensed to practice law in North Dakota, or the expectation of imminent admission to the North Dakota bar.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience practicing general civil litigation or other comparable litigation-related experience.
- High ethical standards; clean discipline record.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills needed to work well with clients, colleagues, and the public.
- The judgment, reliability, and willingness to devote time and energy necessary to provide excellent legal services to the State of North Dakota.
- Ability, demonstrated in previous employment experience or otherwise shown, to establish and maintain effective, harmonious working relationships with clients, colleagues, and supervisors.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Proven ability or potential to do excellent legal work in the areas of legal research and writing, negotiation, and client advise.
- Successful completion of the interview process, reference checks, and standard background and criminal record checks to determine knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform assistant attorney general tasks.
Applicants are screened based on qualifications, successful completion of the interview process and a background and criminal investigation. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The Office of Attorney General does not provide sponsorships.
Application package must be received by 11:59 PM on the closing date listed on the opening.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT: www.nd.gov/careers
Documents to be submitted:
- Cover letter with a summary that clearly explains how the applicant's work experience is related to the summary of work and minimum/preferred qualifications
- 3 Professional References
- College Transcripts (copies or unofficial versions are acceptable for the initial application process but when the top candidate is given a conditional employment offer, they are required to present official transcripts)
Anyone needing assistance or accommodations during any part of the application or interview process please contact Ashley, Office of Attorney General: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: (701) 328-1256 or TTY: 1-800-366-6888.
- Learn more about Office of Attorney General at: https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/
- Learn more about Employment Benefits at: https://www.nd.gov/omb/public/careers/team-nd-benefits
- Visit North Dakota State government: http://www.nd.gov
To learn more about living in North Dakota, visit https://findthegoodlife.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetics, religion, age or disability in employment or the provisions of services and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.