SPECIAL ASSISTANT UNITED STATES ATTORNEY/ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL/HIDTA ATTORNEY
Position No: 125-605 and 125-29307
Salary: $80,000 annually
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Status: Full-Time with State Benefit Package
Location: Bismarck, ND
Selecting Supervisor: Claire Ness, Chief Deputy Attorney General
Summary of Work
The position is responsible for prosecuting drug-related criminal cases and asset forfeiture cases under the High-Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) program in state and federal courts. The HIDTA prosecutor develops and administers guidelines for drug cases and coordinates with state, local, and federal law enforcement agencies. This position typically is located in Bismarck, and travel will be required. Legislative drafting and committee testimony will be required as directed by the Attorney General. The position may require occasional participation in criminal justice training and public speaking engagements and will perform other duties as assigned.
This position is funded by federal grant funding and is contingent upon those funds.
In addition to the monthly salary, this position includes fully paid health insurance for employee and family, the option to participate in employee-paid dental and vision for employee and family, participation in the state NDPERS defined contribution retirement plan as well as the option to participate in the 457 deferred compensation plan, the option to contribute to a medical spending account, and earning annual and sick leave.
We are currently hiring for two of these positions at this time.
1. Licensure (or imminent licensure) to practice law in North Dakota.
2. Admission (or eligibility for admission) to practice in federal courts.
3. Four or more years’ experience as a lead trial and appellate attorney is preferred.
4. High ethical standards; clean discipline record.
5. Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
6. Excellent communication, advocacy, research, and writing skills.
7. Excellent time management and organization skills.
8. Demonstrated ability to maintain effective and collegial working relationships.
9. The judgment, reliability, and willingness to devote the time and energy necessary to provide excellent legal services to the State of North Dakota.
10. Successful completion of the interview process, reference checks, and standard background and criminal record checks to determine knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform special assistant United States Attorney tasks.
"Far and away the best prize life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt
More than 7,500 talented, hard-working people across sixty-three agencies have come together as Team North Dakota. At Team ND, we are driven to succeed through gratitude, humility, curiosity and courage. Our purpose is to empower people, improve lives, and inspire success. Join us in being legendary.
Total Rewards: The State of North Dakota is committed to providing team members with a strong and competitive rewards package that support you, your health and your family.
Considering a new position on Team ND? How does your current position stack up? Use our Total Rewards Calculator to estimate.
Applicants are screened based on qualifications, successful completion of the interview process and a background and criminal investigation. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The Office of Attorney General does not provide sponsorships.
Application package must be received by 11:59 PM on the closing date listed on the opening.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE AT: www.nd.gov/careers
Documents to be submitted:
• Cover letter with a summary that clearly explains how the applicant's work experience is related to the summary of work and minimum/preferred qualifications
• 3 Professional References
• College Transcripts (copies or unofficial versions are acceptable for the initial application process but when the top candidate is given a conditional employment offer, they are required to present official transcripts)
• Writing sample
Anyone needing assistance or accommodations during any part of the application or interview process please contact Ashley, Office of Attorney General: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: (701) 328-1256 or TTY: 1-800-366-6888.
• Learn more about Office of Attorney General at: https://attorneygeneral.nd.gov/
• Learn more about Employment Benefits at: https://www.nd.gov/omb/public/careers/team-nd-benefits
• Visit North Dakota State government: http://www.nd.gov
To learn more about living in North Dakota, visit https://findthegoodlife.com
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetics, religion, age or disability in employment or the provisions of services and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.