Search Tips

Prohibit Remote Public Access to a defendant's electronic record in a criminal case

A Defendant in a criminal case may use these forms when:

  1. The Defendant was charged with a criminal offense AND
    1. The charges were dismissed; or
    2. The Defendant was acquitted;


  2. The Defendant wants to ask a North Dakota state district court to prohibit remote public access to the electronic case record in the criminal case.

If the judge or judicial referee grants the Defendant’s request, members of the public still have access to the criminal case records if they request the records in-person at the courthouse.

A self-represented individual may ONLY represent themselves when using these forms. 

An individual can perform the functions of a lawyer for themselves at their own risk.  This is called legal self-representation.  

  • An individual can’t delegate legal self-representation to a non-lawyer.

IMPORTANT: ND Legal Self Help Center staff and court employees aren’t allowed to give legal advice and can’t help you create legal documents or complete any forms. If you’re unsure how to proceed, consult an attorney.

The forms above don’t expunge or seal the criminal records. 

These forms don’t result in all of the records being expunged (deleted) in the criminal case.

These forms also don’t result in sealing all of the records in the criminal case. (When criminal records are sealed, the records still exist but disclosure of the existence or the content of the records is prohibited.)

Go to Expungement of Criminal Records, Sealing Criminal Records (NDCC Ch. 12-60.1), or Sealing DUI Records (NDCC Section 39-08-01.6) to start your legal research.

If you don’t understand any of this information, or if you have trouble filling out any of the forms located here, please see an attorney for help.

The information provided on and obtained from this site doesn't constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it is being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court isn't liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.

If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.