If you're a party in an administrative agency adjudicative proceeding, and you disagree with the administrative agency’s final decision, you may appeal the decision to North Dakota State District Court.
- An administrative agency adjudicative proceeding is an administrative matter resulting in the agency issuing an order after an opportunity for hearing is provided or required.
A North Dakota administrative agency is each board, bureau, commission, department, or other administrative unit of the executive branch of North Dakota state government. Administrative agencies include one or more officers, employees, or other persons directly or indirectly purporting to act on behalf or under authority of the agency.
Some examples of North Dakota administrative agencies include the North Dakota Department of Health, North Dakota Department of Human Services, Job Service of North Dakota, the North Dakota Department of Labor and Human Rights, and Workforce Safety and Insurance.
30 Day Deadline to Appeal
Don’t Delay! You have a 30 day deadline to appeal a final determination (decision) of an administrative agency to a North Dakota State District Court. The 30 day deadline starts when you receive notice of the agency's final determination (decision).
The 30 day deadline is strict. If you miss the deadline, the North Dakota State District Court judge may dismiss your appeal and you won’t be allowed bring your appeal at all.
Forms and Guides for Appealing an Administrative Agency Decision to District Court
Forms aren't available for every legal issue or circumstance. If you don't find a form that suits your circumstances on this website, the form isn't available through the North Dakota Legal Self Help Center.
You may need to create legal documents yourself. The General-Use forms in the District Court Civil Action Section of this website may be used as a starting point for creating your own legal documents.
- Appealing a Workforce Safety and Insurance Decision
- Petitioning for Review of an Unemployment Benefits Decision (Job Service)
- For All Other North Dakota Administrative Agency Appeals of Final Decisions: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected Statutes (Laws) & Rules
Following are legal research starting points related to appealing a final decision of a North Dakota administrative agency. You may need to conduct additional legal research into your legal issue. See the Legal Research Section of this website.
- Chapter 28-32 of the North Dakota Century Code
- Rule 9.1 of the North Dakota Rules of Court
- The North Dakota Administrative Code
- The North Dakota Rules of Civil Procedure
Following are other resources related to appealing a final decision of a North Dakota administrative agency that may be of interest.
- Appear by Phone or Other Electronic Means Request
- General Use Checklists and Forms
- How to Research Your Legal Issue
- Service Instructions and Forms
If you don't understand any of this information, or if you have trouble filling out any of the forms located here, see an attorney for help.
The information provided on and obtained from this site doesn't constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it is being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court isn't liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.
If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.