Search Tips

Pursuant to Rule 3(C), Admission to Practice Rules, a nonresident lawyer must register with the Board of Law Examiners if the lawyer is employed in North Dakota as in-house counsel exclusively for a corporation or its subsidiaries or affiliates, an association, or a business whose lawful activities are other than the practice of law or the provision of legal services. The lawyer must be admitted and licensed to practice law in another state or the District of Columbia, but not licensed in North Dakota, and, except for the time requirements in Rule 7A, must be otherwise qualified for admission to the practice of law in this state.

How To: 

The lawyer must:

  1. File an affidavit requesting permission to render legal services in North Dakota for the calendar year as in-house counsel and include the information required in Rule 3(C)(1)(a).
  2. File an affidavit from an officer, director, or general counsel of the lawyer's employer in this state attesting that the registrant is employed as a lawyer exclusively for the employer, that the registrant is an individual of good moral character, and that the nature of the employment qualifies the lawyer for registration under this rule.
  3. Remit the fee of $380 [payable only by check or money order; no credit cards accepted) to the State Board of Law Examiners.

Mail to:

State Board of Law Examiners
600 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505-0530

Frequency of Registration. Registration and payment of the annual fee is required for each calendar year in which a nonresident lawyer provides legal services in this state under Rule 3(C).

Limitation on Registration. A nonresident lawyer may provide legal services under Rule 3(C) for five years or until the lawyer becomes eligible for admission based on practice as provided by Rule 7(A), whichever is earlier. After that time, the lawyer must apply for and be admitted to the practice of law in North Dakota to provide any legal services in this state.

Automatic Termination of Registration. Permission to render legal services under Rule 3(C) expires at the end of each calendar year, if employment by the employer filing the affidavit is terminated, or if the nonresident lawyer becomes eligible for admission under Rule 7(A).

Continuing Legal Education Requirements. Each nonresident lawyer who is registered as in-house counsel must complete not fewer than 45 hours of approved coursework in Continuing Legal Education during each three-year period the lawyer is registered and must file a report as provided in the North Dakota Rules for Continuing Legal Education.