Search Tips

Adult Guardianship

North Dakota Guardian Establishment Program

The North Dakota Department of Human Services operates the Guardianship Establishment Program. This is a state-funded program that can provide financial assistance to people who are petitioning for guardianship of an incapacitated adult. The application for this program is found here. Contact information for the Guardianship Establishment Program is located on the last page of the application. Please note that the application is completed before petitioning for guardianship. (See Guardianship Establishment Funds Protocol.)

Rule 59 Guardian Qualifications and Training Requirements

Learn how to identify when a guardianship is necessary, the qualification and training requirements for a guardian of an adult, and the responsibilities of a guardian.

Emergency Adult Guardianship

A North Dakota state district court may appoint an emergency guardian of an adult if the court finds that using the non-emergency guardianship appointment process is likely to result in substantial harm to the adult’s health, safety, or welfare, and that no other person appears to have authority and willingness to act in the circumstances.  Emergency guardianships can last no more than 90 days.

Emergency Adult Guardianship (Appointment of emergency guardian AFTER required court hearing)

Ex-Parte Emergency Adult Guardianship (Appointment of emergency guardian BEFORE required court hearing)

Establishing Adult Guardianship

After Adult Guardianships are Established

Adult Guardianship 5-year Reviews

Transfer Guardianship/Conservatorship

Other Resources

Following are other resources related to adult guardianship proceedings that may be of interest.

The information provided on and obtained from this site does not constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it is being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court is not liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.

If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.