North Dakota Guardian Establishment Program
The North Dakota Department of Human Services operates the Guardianship Establishment Program. This is a state-funded program that can provide financial assistance to people who are petitioning for guardianship of an incapacitated adult. The application for this program is found here. Contact information for the Guardianship Establishment Program is located on the last page of the application. Please note that the application is completed before petitioning for guardianship. (See Guardianship Establishment Funds Protocol.)
Guardian Qualifications and Training Requirements
Learn how to identify when a guardianship is necessary, the qualification and training requirements for a guardian of an adult, and the responsibilities of a guardian.
- ND Guardianship Training Course
- Guardian Qualifications & Training Rule and Affidavit Forms
- Guidelines for New Guardians Packet
Emergency Adult Guardianship
A North Dakota state district court may appoint an emergency guardian of an adult if the court finds that using the non-emergency guardianship appointment process is likely to result in substantial harm to the adult’s health, safety, or welfare, and that no other person appears to have authority and willingness to act in the circumstances. Emergency guardianships can last no more than 90 days.
Emergency Adult Guardianship (Appointment of emergency guardian AFTER required court hearing)
Ex-Parte Emergency Adult Guardianship (Appointment of emergency guardian BEFORE required court hearing)
Establishing Adult Guardianship
- Instructions for Establishing Adult Guardianship
- Notice of Hearing and Statement of Rights
- Petition for Appointment of a Guardian
- Confidential Information Form
- Order for Appointment of Guardian Ad Litem
- Guardian Ad Litem's Report
- Order Appointing a Vistor
- Report of a Vistor
- Order Appointing an Expert Examiner
- Report of Expert Examiner
- Findings of Fact and Order Appointing Guardian/Co-Guardians
- Letters of Guardianship
- Service Instructions and Forms for Establishing Adult Guardianship
After Adult Guardianships are Established
- Beginning Inventory Report and Instructions
- Annual Report (with Notice to Ward & Interested Parties) and Instructions
- Ending Inventory Report and Instructions
- Notice and Motion for Appointment of Successor Guardian
- Order Appointing Successor Guardian
- Letters of Guardianship (Successor Guardian)
- Petition for Termination of Guardianship - Death of Ward
- Order Confirming Termination of Guardianship - Death of Ward
- Petition for Termination of Guardianship and Discharge of Guardian
- Order Terminating Guardianship and Discharging Guardian
Adult Guardianship 5-year Reviews
- Motion to Request Alternative Attendance at Review Hearing and Instructions
- Order of Reappointment of Continuation of Guardianship (Est. Before 7/31/2015)
- Order of Reappointment and Continuation of Guardianship (Est. After 7/31/2015)
- Letters of Guardianship (Reappointment and Continuation of Guardianship)
- Order of Termination of Guardianship
- Finding of Fact and Order Appointing Successor Guardian Following Review
- Letters of Guardianship (Guardianship Continued with Successor Guardian)
Following are other resources related to adult guardianship proceedings that may be of interest.
- 2019 Vulnerable Adult Conference - Follow the link to view the agenda and speaker biographies, as well as their PowerPoint presentations.
The information provided on and obtained from this site does not constitute the official record of the Court. This information is provided as a service to the general public. Any user of this information is hereby advised that it is being provided "as is". The information provided may be subject to errors or omissions. Visitors to this site agree that the Court is not liable for errors or omissions of any of the information provided.
If you have a question relating to a case that is already filed please contact the clerk of court for the county.